The first week of post season played tipped off this past week and/or weekend for most programs in our national top-25 and the road to state championships have begun. This past week, weekend marked the last of national tournaments, showcases, or events for the most part. However, there was a major upset this past week for one of our top-25 programs and a familiar face now enters our national top-25. Below you can take a look at our updated national rankings and our “next five” rankings.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (25-0) – Again, the Montverde Academy Eagles will be a lock for the number one seed when it comes down to putting together the 2020 GEICO Nationals field come this April. Although they have no more games until then, their resume and undefeated record are enough for them to be the number one seed come tournament time. Their trio of Oklahoma State commit 2020 PG Cade Cunningham, Florida State commit 2020 F Scottie Barnes, and North Carolina commit 2020 C Day’Ron Sharpe have been named participates for the annual Jordan Brand Classic recently.
2. Hamilton Heights (TN) (24-2) – The Hawks continue to win games and should certainly be considered to compete in this year’s GEICO Nationals in April. Hamilton Heights goes 2-0 last week with wins over Beckley Prep (WV) and Lighthouse Christian (TN). The Hawks will not play again until this weekend where they will face Potter House Christian (FL) and The Rock (FL) in Florida.
3. Prolific Prep (CA) (24-3) – The Crew of Prolific Prep was off this past week, weekend and will be back in action this weekend as they host the Crush in the Valley session II in Napa, California. Prolific Prep has seriously been considered to make their first appearance in the famous and annual GEICO Nationals in New York, New York. A program featuring the nation’s number one 2020 prospect Jalen Green, there is a possibility they make that trip to the Big Apple in April.
4. Minnehaha Academy (MN) (20-2) – The Redhawks are currently on a 16-game winning streak after going 2-0 last week over St. Peter (MN) and St. Paul (MN). Minnehaha has entered our top-5 nationally for the first time this season and will play two games this week against DeLaSalle (MN) and a big game against Eden Prairie (MN).
5. La Lumiere (IN) (20-3) – La Lumiere also enters our national top-5 rankings for the first time this high school season and squeezes by Benet (IL) 55-48 this past weekend. The Lakers will have two games this week against Andrews Academy (MI) and International Sports Academy (OH), which should be a major matchup.
6. Wasatch Academy (UT) (27-2) – The Tigers have finished their regular season and will wait patiently for the GEICO Nationals coming up this April.
7. Sunrise Christian (KS) (20-3) – Sunrise Christian improves to 20-3 overall on the high school season and captured themselves a big win against Bishop Walsh (MD) over the weekend as part of the Heartland Hoops Classic in Nebraska. The Buffaloes will have one game this week against Universal Academy (TX).
8. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (26-3) – The Stags 22-game win streak ended over the weekend as they lose their first game since early December against WCAC rival Paul VI (VA) 74-65. DeMatha still sits at the top of the WCAC and will have one last game this week before they begin post season play next week.
9. Sierra Canyon (CA) (25-4) – Sierra Canyon wins by 30 points over St. John Bosco (CA) in their first game of pool play in the CIF Southern Section Championships. The Trailblazers will play their second game of pool play this week against St. Anthony (CA).
10. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (35-3) – The Warriors improve to 35-3 overall on the season as they go 3-0 last week at home. LSU commit 2020 SG Cam Thomas, who was just recently named a Jordan Brand Classic participate, finished with 35 points in their win Friday night. Oak Hill will play again Friday night against ABE Prep Academy.
11. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (20-3) – The Crusaders hold their spot in our national top-25 at number 11 after another big top-25 win this week against The Patrick School (NJ). Ohio State commit 2020 F Zed Key dominated once again inside with 37 points and 16 boards. The Crusaders host the LuHi Postseason Invitational this weekend for two games.
12. Bishop Gorman (NV) (24-3) – The Gaels win their first round playoff matchup last week against Basic (NV) 81-48 and will advance to the next round, which will be played this week. They will have a huge in state matchup against Liberty (NV) in the next round this week. A trip to the 2020 GEICO Nationals on the line.
13. Dorman (SC) (25-1) – The Dorman Cavaliers continue their winning streak, improving to 23 straight wins after going 3-0 last week to end their regular season. The Cavaliers will begin postseason play on Wednesday against Greenwood (SC) and a spot in the 2020 GEICO Nationals are certainly on the line.
14. St. Frances Academy (MD) (33-3) – St. Frances Academy goes 2-0 last week to end their incredible regular season with a 33-3 overall record. The Panthers will begin postseason play in the Baltimore Catholic League this week against Glenelg County (MD).
15. Paul VI (VA) (22-7) – The Panthers get the biggest win of the week, weekend as they defeated then top-5 and WCAC rival DeMatha Catholic (MD) 74-65. Their lost earlier in the week to unranked WCAC rival Gonzaga (DC) keeps them just at 15 in our national top-25. The trio of Duke commit 2020 PG Jeremy Roach, 2021 SG Trevor Keels, and 2022 PG Knasir “Dug’ McDaniel combined for 60 points against DeMatha to end their regular season.
16. Centennial (CA) (26-3) – The Huskies 22-game winning streak ended last week during pool play of the CIF Southern Section Championships to unranked Mater Dei (CA). Centennial will continue pool play this week with another major matchup against Harvard-Westlake (CA).
17. IMG Academy (FL) (19-6) – The Ascenders bounce back last week with a win over Millard North (NE) as part of the Heartland Hoops Classic in Nebraska after their lost to unranked Baltimore Poly (MD) two weeks ago. The defending national champions end their regular season with a 19-6 overall record and will patiently wait for the 2020 GEICO Nationals coming this April.
18. Scotlandville (LA) (29-3) – Scotlandville has improved to a 29-3 overall record now on the season after going 2-0 last week with wins over Central (LA) and Zachary (LA). The Hornets will end their regular season this week with two more games.
19. The Patrick School (NJ) (17-6) – The Celtics took a lost earlier in the week to top-25 nationally ranked Long Island Lutheran but bounced back with a win over the Upper Christian (NY) later during the weekend.
20. Grayson (GA) (27-1) – The Rams cruise in the first round of the Georgia class 7A state playoffs defeating Discovery (GA) 76-41. The road to the GEICO Nationals get tougher for Grayson these next couple weeks and will host Pebblebrook (GA) this week in the second round of the Georgia class 7A state playoffs.
21. Camden (NJ) (21-1) – Camden improves to 21-1 overall on the high school season after going 3-0 last week including a big win over in state Wildwood Catholic (NJ). The Panthers will have one game this week against Woodrow Wilson (NJ).
22. Rancho Christian (CA) (22-5) – Rancho Christian won their first game in the CIF Southern Section Championships over Harvard-Westlake (CA). The Eagles will have a major matchup in pool play this week against Mater Dei (CA), who also won their first game last week.
23. Blair Academy (NJ) (23-2) – The Bucs improve to a 23-2 overall record on the season with a win last week over Covenant College Prep. Blair Academy will begin postseason play this week.
24. Mater Dei (CA) (23-6) – Mater Dei enters our national top-25 once again this season after getting a huge win over top-25 Centennial (CA) last week in CIF Southern Section Championships play. The Monarchs will have another big game this week against top-25 Rancho Christian (CA) as part of the CIF Southern Section Championships.
25. West Oaks Academy (FL) (24-6) – West Oaks Academy partcipated in the Grind Session this past weekend and came out with a win over Dream City Christian (AZ) but took a lost to an unranked Word of God Christian (NC) squad. West Oaks will play one game this week against Central Pointe Christian Academy (FL).
Sheldon (CA) (22-5) – The Sheldon Huskies enter our “next five” rankings after taking a lost to unranked Jesuit (CA) last week. The Huskies will begin postseason play this weekend and face the winner of Gregori (CA) and Lincoln (CA) in the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Championships.
Westtown School (PA) (22-7) – The Moose win their first two rounds of the PAISAA state tournament over Penn Charter (PA) and Academy of New Church (PA) this past weekend and move on in their postseason play this weekend in the semifinals at Montgomery County Community College.
St. Benedict’s Prep (NJ) (26-4) – St. Benedict’s Prep gets two wins last week over Bergen Catholic (NJ) and Rise Academy (PA). The Gray Bees will have two more games this week.
St. John’s College (DC) (23-7) – The Cadets go 1-1 last week to end their regular season and postseason play in the tough WCAC will begin later this week. St. John’s is currently ranked fourth in the WCAC.
Baltimore Poly (MD) (21-2) – The Engineers sit at the top of the Baltimore City Basketball League and will begin postseason play later this week.