Our national top-25 and “next five” rankings are in and official for the 12th week of the 2019-2020 high school season. This past weekend hosted the last set of games for most programs in our top-25 and post season play will be underway this week. Top-25 programs like Sierra Canyon (CA), Centennial (CA), Bishop Gorman (NV), Grayson (GA), and Rancho Christian (CA), just to name a few, will begin post season play this week. This past week, weekend hosted a few major matchups between top-25 programs. Below you can find out which programs headline our top-25 and “next five” rankings for this week.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (25-0) – The Eagles will probably end as the number one team in the nation in our top-25 nationally. Montverde’s regular season has ended and they will not play again until the GEICO Nationals in April. The City of Palms Classic, John Wall Invitational, and St. James Invitational are just a few tournaments the Eagles have won this season. Cade Cunningham (Oklahoma State), Scottie Barnes (Florida State), and Day’Ron Sharpe (North Carolina) have all been named 2020 McDonald’s All Americans and Nike Hoop Summit participates.
2. Hamilton Heights (TN) (22-2) – Hamilton Heights took the week off last week due to testing but will be back in action this week with two games against Beckley Prep (WV) and Lighthouse Christian (TN). The Hawks have a very interesting resume with a few quality wins that could get them into the GEICO Nationals tournament this year and with a high seed.
3. Prolific Prep (CA) (24-3) – Prolific Prep was back in action last weekend after having a week off and secured themsevles two more quality wins to add to their unique resume for this high school season. They defeated both Trinity International (NV) and Compass Prep (AZ) in back-to-back days. 2020 SG Jalen Green led in both games with 21 points and 39 points. Prolific Prep will host the Crush in the Valley session II in a couple weeks and will be off this week.
4. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (23-2) – The Stags have now won 19 straight games with their last lost coming back in early December against number one Montverde Academy (FL). They continue their dominance in the WCAC and now hold a 15-0 record in league play after defeating rival Gonzaga (DC) over the weekend. They will have another major WCAC matchup this week against St. John’s College (DC).
5. Minnehaha Academy (MN) (18-2) – Minnehaha Academy goes 2-0 over the weekend to improve to an 18-2 overall record and are currently on a 14-game winning streak coming into this week’s rankings. They will have two more games this upcoming weekend against St. Louis Park (MN) and Hibbing (MN).
6. La Lumiere (IN) (19-3) – La Lumiere shoots up one spot in our national top-25 after Sierra Canyon (CA) took a lost over the weekend in New Jersey. The Lakers won their only game over the weekend against Lake Forest Academy (IN). They will play their next game this week against Gary Roosevelt (IN).
7. Wasatch Academy (UT) (27-2) – The Tigers end their regular season over the weekend after going 2-0 in the state of Utah and averaging 123.5 points per game in both games. Wasatch Academy should be a lock for the 2020 GEICO Nationals this upcoming April and the only question is, what seed will they be placed at? They have a few quality wins on their resume to be a top-4 seed.
8. Sunrise Christian (KS) (18-3) – The Buffaloes bounce back after taking a lost a couple weeks ago to Memphis East (TN) at the Dr. Pepper Classic in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Sunrise defeated Church Prep (OK) and Next Level Prep (KS) and holding both to just under 45 points. They will have one game later this week before heading out to Nebraska to face Bishop Walsh (MD) as part of the Heartland Hoops Classic.
9. Sierra Canyon (CA) (24-4) – The Trailblazers regular season ended on the East Coast over the weekend as they competed in the Metro Classic session II in Toms River. Sierra Canyon dropped their fourth lost of the season after a lost to Long Island Lutheran (NY) Saturday night. Post season play will begin for Sierra Canyon this Friday night against St. John Bosco (CA).
10. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (32-3) – Oak Hill Academy took a lost this weekend at the East Coast Bump in Maryland to top-25 St. Frances Academy (MD). That only gives the Warriors their third lost of the season and the second lost in the last couple of weeks. The Warriors will have two more games this week.
11. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (19-3) – The Crusaders probably received their biggest win of the high school season this past weekend against top-10 ranked Sierra Canyon (CA) at the Metro Classic session II in Toms River, New Jersey. Illinois commit 2020 PG Andre Curbelo and Ohio State commit 2020 F Zed Key were incredible leading the way. Their next game will be at home game against top-25 The Patrick School (NJ) this Thursday night. Another key matchup.
12. Centennial (CA) (26-2) – The Huskies end their regular season with a 22-game winning streak and will be an extreme threat during the post season in the state of California. Their next game will be against Southern Cal powerhouse Mater Dei (CA) this Friday night. A very highly anticipated matchup for the Huskies and a potential resume builder.
13. Bishop Gorman (NV) (24-3) – Bishop Gorman ends their regular season over the weekend with two more wins over Clark (NV) and Desert Oasis (NV). The Gaels will have a bye week in the first round of the class 4A Nevada state playoffs and will be back in action this Friday night.
14. Dorman (SC) (22-1) – The Cavaliers have won 20 straight games now after their win over Hillcrest (SC) early last week. Their game against Boiling Springs (SC) was postponed. Dorman will have their regular season end later this week with two more games.
15. St. Frances Academy (MD) (31-3) – St. Frances Academy jumps five spots after their major win over top-10 ranked Oak Hill Academy (VA) over the weekend at the East Coast Bump in their home state. They continue to prove they can compete with some of the best programs and the win over Oak Hill adds to their resume. The Panthers will have two more games this week to end their regular season.
16. IMG Academy (FL) (18-6) – The defending GEICO Nationals champions took their sixth lost of the season this past weekend at the East Coast Bump in Maryland to unranked Baltimore Poly (MD) 62-60. The Ascenders will have one last game to end their regular season this weekend against Millard North (NE) as part of the Heartland Classic in Nebraska.
17. The Patrick School (NJ) (16-5) – The Celtics secure themselves two good wins over the weekend playing in the Metro Classic session II in Toms River, New Jersey with wins over Huntington Prep (WV) and Wildwood Catholic (NJ). 2021 F Jonathan Kuminga was back in action and averaged 14.5 points per game. The Patrick School will have a key matchup later this week to end their regular season against top-25 Long Island Lutheran (NY).
18. Paul VI (VA) (20-6) – A bad lost to WCAC opponent Bishop McNamara (MD), a team they lost to earlier in the season, last week drops Paul VI just a couple spots in our top-25 national rankings. The Panthers still hold their spot in our top-25 due to their quality wins they have on their resume and strength of schedule. They will have a key matchup this week against WCAC opponent Gonzaga (DC) on the road.
19. Scotlandville (LA) (27-3) – The Hornets win their only game they had over the weekend against Walker (LA) and won 70-53. Scotlandville will play two more games this week in their regular season against Central (LA) and Zachary (LA).
20. Grayson (GA) (25-1) – The Rams are currently on a 17-game winning streak after a region tournament win over Newton (GA) over the weekend. They will play in their region championship game tonight and will begin their run to the 2020 GEICO Nationals this upcoming weekend in the Georgia class 7A state playoffs.
21. Camden (NJ) (18-1) – Camden survives their game with Gill St. Bernard’s (NJ) over the weekend 65-60 in the Metro Classic session II in Toms River, New Jersey. 2023 PG DaJuan Wagner Jr. led with 19 points for Camden. The Panthers are currently on a 14-game winning streak and will face Camden Catholic (NJ) and Lenape (NJ) this week in just two games.
22. Rancho Christian (CA) (21-5) – Rancho Christian ended their regular season over the weekend against Ribet Academy (CA) with a win. USC commit 2020 C Evan Mobley led with 19 points, 17 boards, and 5 assists. The Eagles will begin post season play later this weekend and will face Harvard-Westlake (CA) in what should be a very interesting matchup.
23. Sheldon (CA) (21-4) – The Huskies go 2-0 last week and held both of their opponents to under 50 points. Sheldon improves to a 21-4 overall record and will have three games this week to end their regular season before post season play next week.
24. West Oaks Academy (FL) (21-5) – West Oaks Academy with two more wins last week over Victory Rock Prep (FL) and Oldsmar Christian (FL). 2020 SG A.J. Staton averaged 21.5 points per game in their two wins. West Oaks will have a couple more games this week and will compete in the Grind Session Hooping on the Hill event this weekend.
25. Blair Academy (NJ) (22-2) – Blair Academy enters our national top-25 for the first time this season after winning the Mid-Atlantic Prep League title over the weekend and improving their record to 22-2 overall. The Bucs will have one games this week before they begin their post season play next week.
St. John’s College (DC) (22-6) – The Cadets headline our national “next five” rankings this week after Blair Academy (NJ) moves up. St. John’s captured themselves a major win over WCAC opponent Gonzaga (DC) last weekend and improved to a 22-6 overall record. They will end their regular season this week with two road games and one including a matchup with top-5 nationally ranked DeMatha Catholic (MD).
St. Benedict’s Prep (NJ) (25-4) – St. Benedict’s Prep goes 3-0 last week and over the weekend to improve to a 25-4 overall record. They will have three games this week and one including a key matchup on the road against Bergen Catholic (NJ).
Neumann-Goretti (PA) (18-4) – The Saints drop out of our top-25 national rankings once again after taking a lost to unranked Cardinal O’Hara (PA) over the weekend. The Saints regular season has come to a close and will begin post season play sometime this week.
Baltimore Poly (MD) (20-2) – The Engineers enter our national “next five” rankings after a huge win over the weekend against powerhouse IMG Academy (FL) as part of the East Coast Bump in Maryland. Baltimore Poly has been on our radar the entire season due to their strength of schedule and finally has made their way in. They will have one game this week to end their regular season.
Westtown School (PA) (20-7) – The Moose win their seventh straight FSL title over the weekend and win their twenth game of the season. Westtown School will host the first round of the PAISAA state playoffs this upcoming weekend but thier opponent is to be determined.