The Grind week 7 national rankings are out and official and this week might have been the craziest week we have had this entire 2019-2020 high school season. Nine out of our top-25 programs took a lost last week or this past weekend. A fimiliar face re-enters our national top-25 after a huge win over a top-5 program and a new face appears in our “next five” rankings. Below you can find out which programs fill out our top-25 week 7 rankings and “next five” rankings.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (15-0) – Montverde Academy stays at number one in our national top-25 rankings for the 7th straight week. The Eagles dominated in the ARS Memphis Hoopfest this past weekend outscoring their opponents 168-97. Arkansas commit 2020 SG Moses Moody averaged 16.0 points per game combining 13-19 from the field. The next stop for the powerhouse program will be at the Metro Shore Classic in New Jersey.
2. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (21-1) – The Warriors will be back in action later this week as they are expected to face Bishop Walsh (MD) as part of the Rock the Ribbon Classic. Oak Hill Academy has been off for about two weeks and has not played since capturing the Iolani Prep Classic title in Hawaii back on December 21st.
3. Wasatch Academy (UT) (17-1) – The Tigers continue to prove to the nation why they should be considered a top-5 program nationally with back-to-back wins over national programs Roman Catholic (PA) and top ranked Paul VI (VA). Their lone lost came to second nationally ranked Oak Hill Academy back in December at the Iolani Prep Classic title game. Wasatch will have two games this weekend against Desert Valley Prep (NV) and Layton Christian Academy (UT).
4. Hamilton Heights (TN) (16-0) – The Hawks undefeated season continues as they go 2-0 in Memphis defeating Arlington (TN) and Crestwood Prep (Canada) as part of the ARS Memphis Hoopfest. Hamilton Heights have made it into our top-5 national rankings and will face ABI (GA) and Chattanooga Christian (TN) later this week on January 9th and 10th.
5. Prolific Prep (CA) (18-2) – Prolific Prep went 1-1 over the weekend in Kentucky during Mustang Madness defeating Word of God Academy (NC) and taking their second lost of the season to West Oaks Academy (FL). The Crew will be off for two weeks and will not play another game until their highly anticipated matchup against Huntington Prep (WV) as part of the Flyin to the Hoop event in Ohio.
6. Sierra Canyon (CA) (15-2) – The Trailblazers took their second lost of the season to Minnehaha Academy (MN) this past Saturday night in Minnesota. Sierra Canyon is still considered a top-10 squad with the other qualities wins they hold. They will have another top-25 matchup later this week as they will face Evan Mobley and nationally ranked Rancho Christian (CA) for the second time this season Saturday night.
7. Sunrise Christian (CA) (11-2) – The Buffaloes took their second lost of the season as well this past weekend to nationally ranked powerhouse Huntington Prep (WV) as part of the Cancer Research Classic. Sunrise Christian did indeed defeat top-10 ranked La Lumiere (IN) as part of the Cancer Research Classic to keep them in our top-10 rankings. Sunrise Christian will face Legacy School of Sports Science (KS) later this week on Friday January 10th.
8. The Patrick School (NJ) (7-2) – The Patrick School made their way to Minnesota over the weekend where they faced this year’s loaded Sierra Canyon (CA) squad and unfortunately took a lost 71-56. The Celtics took only their second lost of the season but bounced back with a win over St. Augustine Prep (NJ) 53-44. The Celtics will face top in state programs Blair Academy (NJ) and St. Benedict’s Prep (NJ) this weekend.
9. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (9-2) – Head coach Mike Jones and the DeMatha staff make their way back into our top-10 national rankings after their big time win over nationally ranked Mater Dei (CA) as part of the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia. The Stags will play three tough games this week while two are on the road against Gonzaga (DC) and St. John’s (DC). Two key matchups in the DMV.
10. La Lumiere (IN) (10-2) – The Lakers took their second lost of the season this past weekend at the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia as they defeated Roman Catholic (PA) and lost to top ranked Sunrise Christian (KS). La Lumiere will face Michigan City (IN) on January 14th before heading to the loaded Spalding Hoophall Classic in Springfield, MA during MLK weekend.
11. Huntington Prep (WV) (13-4) – The Irish jump eight spots in our national top-25 after statement wins over nationally ranked Roselle Catholic (NJ) and Sunrise Christian (KS) as part of the Cancer Research Classic this past weekend in West Virginia. Huntington Prep proved they should still be considered one of the best teams in the nation and will have another chance to build their resume this weekend as they face IMG Academy (FL) this Friday night on ESPN2.
12. Minnehaha Academy (MN) (10-2) – The Redhawks had themselves a statement win over top-5 ranked Sierra Canyon (CA) this past weekend playing in the Target Center and make their appearance back in our national top-25 moving into the 12th spot. Gonzaga commit 2020 PG Jalen Suggs put on a show against the Trailblazers posting 23 points, 6 assists, 13 boards, and 6 steals. Minnehaha Academy will face St. Paul Academy Summit (MN) this week in their only game they will play.
13. Roselle Catholic (NJ) (4-2) – The Lions go 1-1 this past weekend at the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia as they took a lost to top ranked Huntington Prep (WV) and defeated Georgia powerhouse Norcross (GA). Xavier commit 2020 SG CJ Wilcher averaged 23.0 points per game in those two games. Roselle Catholic will face Manasquan (NJ) as part of the HoopGroup Boardwalk Classic and Linden (NJ) as part of the Heart 2 Hands Invitational this weekend.
14. Centennial (CA) (14-2) – Centennial dominated in their win over Lynwood (CA) defeating them 96-50 in the Real Run Challenge in California. The Huskies will face Santiago (CA) later this week and then will have a huge matchup Saturday night against Corona (CA) at home on January 10th.
15. St. Frances Academy (MD) (16-1) – The Panthers defeated Gilman (MD) and New Hope Academy (MD) over the weekend in their two games. St. Frances Academy will have two games this week before heading down to Florida to be apart of the Ascenders Classic on the campus of IMG Academy (FL). They will face Philadelphia’s own Imhotep Charter (PA) in the first round.
16. Rancho Christian (CA) (15-2) – The Eagles won their highly anticipated matchup against in state Santa Clarita Christian (CA) 82-69 and where USC commit 2020 C Evan Mobley posted 22 points. Rancho Christian will have two major games this weekend as they face San Ysidro (CA) as part of the Boarder Boyz Classic and a rematch with Sierra Canyon (CA).
17. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (10-2) – The Crusaders defeated in state program St. Raymond’s (NY) 91-64 and where Ohio State commit 2020 F Zed Key posted 25 points, 13 boards, and 5 blocks. Long Island Lutheran will face Bergen Catholic (NJ) this weekend as part of the Empire Invitational in New York and Amityville Memorial (NY).
18. Mater Dei (CA) (13-3) – The Monarchs made the trip to the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia this past weekend and where they defeated Bishop Walsh (MD) but took a lost to powerhouse and nationally ranked DeMatha Catholic (MD). Mater Dei will have two games this week and face Orange Lutheran (CA) and a road game against Servite (CA).
19. IMG Academy (FL) (8-3) – The Ascenders drop nine spots after taking a bad lost to Briarcrest Christian (TN) as part of the ARS Memphis Hoopfest this past weekend in Memphis, TN. IMG Academy drops their third game of the season and will have one game early this week before hosting the Ascenders Classic this weekend and where they will face nationally ranked Huntington Prep (WV) Friday night January 10th on ESPN2 in the first round.
20. Archbishop Stepinac (NY) (7-2) – North Carolina commit 2020 PG R.J. Davis dropped 22 points and 5 rebounds to lead the Crusaders to a win over Iona Prep (NY) this past weekend as part of the Crusaders Classic in New York. Archbishop Stepinac will have a couple key games this week with a rematch against St. Raymond’s (NY) and a matchup with Rutgers Prep (NJ) as part of the Empire Invitational in New York on Sunday January 12th.
21. Paul VI (VA) (7-3) – The Panthers drop eight spots after taking a bad lost earlier in the week to Bishop McNamara (MD) and then a lost to highly ranked Wasatch Academy (UT) at the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia. Paul VI (VA) will play three games this week and one including a matchup with powerhouse Gonzaga (DC) on Thursday January 9th.
22. Bishop Gorman (NV) (10-2) – Bishop Gorman has been off since they made their trip up to Oregon two weeks ago to compete in the Les Schwab Invitational. The Gaels will be back in action this week as they have three games including two key games against Durango (NV) and Silverado (NV).
23. Sheldon (CA) (11-2) – The Huskies have been off since competing in the Torrey Pines Holiday Classic a couple weeks ago and will be back in action later this week against Franklin (CA) on Wednesday January 8th.
24. Scotlandville (LA) (19-2) – The Hornets continue their hot streak and winning the Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic this past weekend in Louisiana going 4-0. Available 2020 SG Tai’Ron Joseph posted 25 points in their title game against Tampa Catholic (FL). Scotlandville will have two games this week against Dunham (LA) and Madison Prep Academy (LA).
25. Dorman (SC) (14-1) – Dorman captured the 2019 Beach Ball Classic championship last week with a win over St. John’s College (DC). The Cavaliers have certainly earned their way into our national top-25 and have been consistent all season long with their only lost coming to powerhouse Oak Hill Academy (VA). They will face Spartanburg (SC) and Hillcrest (SC) this week.
St. John’s College (DC) (13-1) – The Cadets of St. John’s College were defeated in last week’s 2019 Beach Ball Classic title game to nationally ranked Dorman (SC) in Myrtle Beach, SC but bounced back with two straight wins over in state programs. The Cadets have themselves a key matchup later this week against nationally ranked and powerhouse DeMatha Catholic (MD) on Thursday night January 9th.
Neumann-Goretti (PA) (9-2) – The Saints win their only game they had last week against Father Judge (PA) 85-43. They will play their next game on Saturday night January 10th against Monsignor Bonner (PA).
Grayson (GA) (14-1) – The Rams win their anticipated matchup against in state rival Shiloh (GA) last Friday night and continue to be place on our radar in our “next five” rankings. Grayson’s lone lost came to in state rival Newton (GA) back in December. They will have two games this week against South Gwinnett (GA) and Rockdale County (GA).
Gonzaga (DC) (10-3) – The Eagles won their first game last week since their appearance in the City of Palms Classic in December against Bishop O’Connell (VA) 79-54. Gonzaga will have two major key games this week against nationally ranked rival DeMatha Catholic (MD) and Paul VI (VA).
Greensboro Day (NC) (19-2) – Greensboro Day makes their first appearance in our “next five” rankings for the 2019-2020 high school season and have been flying under the radar for most of the season. The Bengals are one of the North Carolina’s most consistent basketball programs and will have a chance to build their resume in a couple weeks as they are competing in the Bass Pro Shop TOC in Missouri.