The Grind’s week 3 rankings are in and the first week of December games gave us some great matchups at a few top tier events. A couple top programs began their seasons this week as others prepared to continue on with their 2019-2020 high school season. This week’s rankings include a few shifts, newcomers, and returns from past weeks. As we head into the middle of December, more and more major matchups are expected and high quality before and post Christmas tournaments are getting close. Below you can found out which programs are in this week’s rankings.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (4-0) – The Eagles have been super dominate through their first four games of the 2019-2020 high school season proving they deserve that number one spot in the country. They are currently averaging 95.0 points per game including three games when scoring 95 or more points. The Eagles will be tested this week before hitting the famous and annual City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL as they host top-10 DeMatha Catholic (MD) on Thursday night at home. ESPN is expected to televise the matchup.
2. Prolific Prep (CA) (14-0) – Prolific Prep earned this number two spot in our rankings this week after capturing three high quality wins in three straight days last week. They defeated top programs like Hillcrest Prep (AZ), Our Saviour Lutheran (NY), and Orangeville Prep (Canada) last week. Top-5 2020 SG Jalen Green carried his squad to 33 points in their in anticipated matchup against nationally ranked Hillcrest Prep (AZ) last Thursday night. Prolific Prep will play one more game before hitting the annual Chic-Fil-A Classic in Columbia, SC.
3. Huntington Prep (WV) (9-0) – The Irish keep their undefeated season alive after three straight victories over the weekend in Ohio and Kentucky. Huntington Prep will have a very busy weekend playing in the Bojangles Bash in South Carolina and PSA Showcase in New York. They are expected to face Keenan (SC) and a very tough Dorman (SC) squad at the Bojangles Bash and Our Saviour Lutheran (NY) in the PSA Showcase. This squad will be tested this week.
4. Sierra Canyon (CA) (6-0) – Kentucky commit 2020 SG Brandon Boston Jr. and 2022 SG Amari Bailey have combined for a total of 83 points in Sierra Canyon’s last two games. The Trailblazers remain undefeated after defeating Santa Clarita Christian (CA) and Millenium (AZ) in Phoenix, AZ as part of the Hoophall Classic West. Sierra Canyon will have a matchup with St. Vincent-St. Mary (OH), Lebron James’s alma mater, in Columbus, OH at National Bank Arena. ESPN is expected to live stream the matchup.
5. Sunrise Christian (KS) (6-0) – What a big weekend for Sunrise Christian (KS) as they defeated nationally ranked Gonzaga (DC) and DeMatha Catholic (MD) as part of the D.C. Hoopfest at DeMatha Catholic. Northwestern commit 2020 PG Ty Berry had himself a stock rising weekend leading the Buffaloes in scoring including 21 points against DeMatha Catholic (MD). The Buffaloes will play two more games this week before facing top-25 St. Frances Academy (MD) at the famous and annual City of Palms Classic on December 20th.
6. Wasatch Academy (UT) (7-0) – The Tigers were tested this past weekend against Rocky Mountain (ID) in the Great Western Shootout title game where it took double overtime to find a winner. They keep their undefeated season going and 2022 PG Richard Isaacs Jr. is averaging 27.5 points per game in their last two games. The Tigers will head to Vegas and where they will face Desert Oasis (NV) and American Prepartory (NV) in two straight days to begin their week.
7. Paul VI (VA) (4-0) – The Panthers of Paul VI pulled an upset on Saturday night as they took down top-5 nationally ranked IMG Academy (FL) in D.C. at DeMatha Catholic as part of the D.C. Hoopfest. 2021 SG Trevor Keels had himself an incredible outing at the D.C. Hoopfest combining for 59 points in their two games in D.C. The Panthers will have two road games ahead of them this week as they face Bishop Ireton (VA) and Archbishop Wood (PA).
8. IMG Academy (FL) (2-1) – The Ascenders were undermanned this weekend in D.C. at the D.C. Hoopfest at DeMatha Catholic without top-5 prospect and Duke commit 2020 F Jalen Johnson and Ole Miss commit 2020 SG Matt Murrell. The defending national champions were led by Tennessee commit 2020 SG Jaden Springer in their two games in D.C. and where he combined for 40 points and 15 assists. IMG Academy will face Lakewood Ranch (FL) and Tampa Catholic (FL) on the road later this week before hitting the famous and annual City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL.
9. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (3-1) – Head Coach Mike Jones and his DeMatha Catholic staff took a tough lost to now top-5 nationally ranked Sunrise Christian (KS) at home over the weekend during the D.C. Hoopfest. The Stags will have to forget about that lost and move on as this week they will have another test and major matchup. DeMatha will have one game this week before they travel to Montverde Academy (FL) for a matchup Thursday night on December 12th. ESPN is expected to televise the anticipated matchup.
10. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (13-1) – LSU commit 2020 SG Cam Thomas averaged 29.6 points per game in Oak Hill’s three games last week leading them to a 13-1 overall record including a 40-point game against Lakeside Prep (SC). The Warriors will be battle tested this weekend in South Carolina as they are competing in the Battle of the Rock and Bojangles Bash. They will face some of South Carolina’s best including Dorman (SC), Ridgeview (SC), and Keenan (SC) before heading out to Hawaii for the Iolani Prep Classic.
11. The Patrick School (NJ) (0-0) – The Celtics will make their season debut tonight against Watchung Hills Regional (NJ)
12. Hillcrest Prep (AZ) (8-2) – The Bruins took two tough loses while at the Hoophall Classic West in Phoenix, AZ last week to nationally ranked Prolific Prep (CA) and Hamilton Heights (TN). Hillcrest Prep is still a nationally ranked program and will try to bounce back this weekend as they head to New York, NY to face powerhouse Brewster Academy (NH) as part of the Battle In The Apple showcase at the Barclay’s Center, home of the Brooklyn Nets.
13. Roselle Catholic (NJ) (0-0) – The Lions will make their season debut later this week on Thursday December 12th against Newark Eastside (NJ).
14. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (1-0) – Illinois commit 2020 PG Andre Curbelo led the Crusaders to their first win of the 2019-2020 high school season with a 24-point, 8-assists, 5-boards, and 5-steals performance over St. Dominic (NY). Ohio State commit 2020 F Zed Key added 14 points and 8 boards. The Crusaders will have two games this week and will face Chaminade (NY) and Jefferson (NY).
15. La Lumiere (IN) (6-0) – La Lumiere dominated over the weekend outscoring their opponents 156-85. The Lakers will play one game later this week against Bowman Academy (IN) on Saturday December 13th before hitting Columbia, SC to compete in the loaded Chic-Fil-A Classic.
16. Bishop Gorman (NV) (1-0) – The Gaels begin the season right with a 74-45 win over Santa Margarita (CA) last week. They will have three games this week before hosting the famous and annual Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas, NV.
17. St. Frances Academy (MD) (7-0) – The Panthers get a big win against Chicago powerhouse Simeon (IL) over the weekend as part of the Chicago Elite Classic. St. Frances Academy will have three games this week and one more game next week before their major matchup against Hamilton Heights (TN) on December 20th as part of the famous and annual City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL.
18. Hamilton Heights (TN) (9-0) – Hamilton Heights continues to climb our rankings with another big win over the weekend at the Hoophall Classic West in Phoenix, AZ as they defeated then top-10 Hillcrest Prep (AZ). Florida commit 2020 F Samson Ruzhentsev led the way with 17 points and 2 steals. The Hawks will head to Ohio this weekend and where they will face Quality Education Academy (NC) and Mountain Mission School (VA).
19. McEachern (GA) (6-0) – The Indians were off all last week but will have two games later this week against North Cobb (GA) and a major in state matchup with Grayson (GA) on Saturday night in Atlanta, GA as part of the Hawks-Naismith Classic at Norcross High School before hitting the famous and annual City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL. The matchup between two future SEC point guards Sharife Cooper (Auburn) and Deivon Smith (Mississippi State) will be a key matchup in that game.
20. Roman Catholic (PA) (0-0) – Roman Catholic will make their season debut later this week on Thursday December 12th against Lansdale Catholic (PA).
21. Mater Dei (CA) (2-0) – Mater Dei improves to 2-0 with a win over the weekend over Perry (AZ) 77-42 in Phoenix, AZ as part of the Hoophall Classic West. Kentucky commit 2020 PG Devin Askew led the way with 14 points and 8 assists. The Monarchs will face West (CA) later this week and compete in the CDM Beach Bash in Southern California.
22. Archbishop Stepinac (NY) (1-0) – The 2019-2020 high school season has just begun for the Crusaders after defeating Monsignor Scanlan (NY) 81-69 last week. The dynamic duo of North Carolina commit 2020 PG R.J. Davis and Duke commit 2021 F A.J. Griffin finished with a combined 51 points while 2021 C Malcolm Chimezie added 19 points and 13 boards. Archbishop Stepinac will be tested this week before they hit the famous and annual City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL against Cardinal Hayes (NY) and St. Raymond’s (NY).
23. Minniehaha Academy (MN) (1-1) – The Redhawks go 1-1 in their first two games of the 2019-2020 high school season. They defeated Monticello (MN) on Thursday night and where one of the nation’s top stock risers 2021 F Chet Holmgren posted 29 points along with 6 blocks. 2020 PG Jalen Suggs made his season debut Saturday night against but unfortunately took a lost to Cretin-Derham Hall (MN). Minniehaha will have two games this week against North (MN) and Benilde-St. Margaret’s (MN).
24. Neumann-Goretti (PA) (2-0) – The Saints are the newest program to enter our top-25 national rankings after a huge win over nationally ranked Westtown School (PA) over the weekend as part of the Scholastic Play by Play Classic in Chester, PA. The Saints will face Malvern Prep (PA) later this week on Saturday December 14th as part of the Dianne Mosco Coaches vs Cancer Classic. The Saints are pretty loaded and will play two more games before competing in the Tarkanian Classic in Las Vegas, NV next week.
25. Rancho Christian (CA) (6-2) – The Eagles make their way back into our national top-25 rankings after two key wins at the Hoophall Classic West in Phoenix, AZ. They defeated Rainer Beach (WA) and Christ the King (NY) in their two games and where USC commit 2020 C Evan Mobley combined for 38 points and 28 boards in the Eagles two games out in Phoenix. The Eagles will face Liberty (NV) this Saturday at Pasadena City College.
Grayson (GA) (8-0) – The Rams capture two wins last week, including a win over Wheeler (GA) in the TOC Classic Showcase Saturday night, after a great outing at the Holiday Hoopsgiving showcase the week before. Grayson will have two road games this week against region opponents before their big time matchup against McEachern (GA) at the Hawks-Naismith Classic in Atlanta, GA at Norcross High School. If the Rams capture the win, it is possible they will enter our top-25 rankings.
First Love Christian (PA) (4-2) – The Knights take their first two loses of the season to Rock Creek Christian (MD) and National Christian Academy (MD) as part of the D.C. Hoopfest at DeMatha Catholic (MD). Richmond commit 2020 PG Isaiah Wilson had himself a stellar performance combing for 28 points and 15 assists in the Knight’s two games. They will have two key games this weekend in New York, NY as they are facing Blair Academy (NJ) as part of the Big North Shootout and Suffield Academy (CT) as part of the PSA Showcase.
Westtown (PA) (3-2) – The Moose took a lost to then unranked Neumann-Goretti (PA) over the weekend as part of the Scholastic Play by Play Classic in Chester, PA. Westtown School will play two games during the week before their highly anticipated matchup against powerhouse Brewster Academy (NH) on Sunday December 15th as part of the PSA Showcase in New York, NY.
Gonzaga (DC) (3-2) – Gonzaga took their first two loses of the season last week to Our Lady of Good Counsel (MD) and top-5 nationally ranked Sunrise Christian (KS) as part of the D.C. Hoopfest at DeMatha Catholic. The Eagles will have a road game against Archbishop Carroll (DC) this week before facing Gonzaga Prep (WA), which will be a key matchup, as part of the Gonzaga DC Classic this weekend.
Word of God Academy (NC) (5-3) – The Word of God Academy Holy Rams are much better than what their record shows, which is why we have put them in our “next 5”. The Holy Rams went 1-1 over the weekend defeating Bishop Walsh (MD) and taking a lost to Paul VI (VA) in D.C. competing in the D.C. Hoopfest at DeMatha Catholic. Word of God Academy will have three games this week before hitting the loaded Chic-Fil-A Classic next week in Columbia, SC.