The Grind’s week 2 national rankings are offical and what a weekend of hoops we had post Thanksgiving and even before the holiday. Big games, big matchups, big events, and big tournaments were all on display over the last few days. The Thanksgiving Hoopfest (Dallas, Texas) and Holiday Hoopsgiving (Atlanta, Georgia) provided top exposure over this past weekend. Here we check out which programs joined our top-25 national rankings and which teams have been put out. We also add a “next five”, which will include programs who are not ranked in our top-25 but could soon be. Check below.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (2-0) – The Eagles win big over the weekend outscoring their opponents 182-97 in their two games in Dallas, TX at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest. Oklahoma State commit and Texas native 2020 PG Cade Cunningham combined for 27 points shooting 80% from the field, 13 assists and boards, and 5 steals over their two games. His teammate, Florida State commit 2020 F Scottie Barnes, with a similar stat line (22 points (9-15 from the field), 15 assists, 13 boards, 6 steals, and 0 turnovers). The Eagles will have three games before their primetime matchup with DeMatha Catholic (MD) on Thursday December 12th at Montverde Academy on ESPN.
2. IMG Academy (FL) (1-0) – The Ascenders were off for the Thanksgiving Holiday and will be back in action this weekend as they face powerhouse Paul VI (VA) and Cornerstone Christian (TX) this weekend in Washington D.C. as part of the D.C. Hoopfest.
3. Huntington Prep (WV) (5-0) – The Irish survive in North Carolina over the weekend in the Hoops and Dreams Classic and where they defeated top programs Word of God (NC) and Combine Academy (NC). Duke commit 2020 F Jaemyn Brakefield combined for 37 points (16-23 from the field) and 15 boards for Huntington Prep in their two games in North Carolina.
4. Sierra Canyon (CA) (4-0) – Kentucky commit 2020 SG Brandon Boston Jr. led the way once again for the Trailblazers over the weekend in Dallas, TX at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest finishing with 24 points (7-15 FG and 8-13 FT) and 10 boards in their 66-63 win over Duncanville (TX). Still no 2020 W Zaire Williams for Sierra Canyon just yet. They will have their home opener later this week on Tuesday December 3rd against Granada Hills (CA) and will face Santa Clarita Christian (CA) the day after before heading to the Hoophall Classic West in Phoenix, AZ where they will face Millennium (AZ) on Saturday December 7th.
5. Prolific Prep (CA) (11-0) – Prolific Prep (CA) go 2-0 over the weekend in Dallas, TX at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest, keeping their undefeated season alive. 2020 SG Jalen Green combined for 37 points (12-24 from the field) and 19 boards in their two games out in Dallas. The next stop for Prolific Prep will be Phoenix, AZ for the Hoophall Classic West against Hillcrest Prep (AZ) on ESPN2 and then a quick turn around as they are also competing in the Marshall County Hoopfest in Kentucky December 6th and 7th and will face Our Saviour Lutheran (NY) and Orangeville Prep (Canada).
6. Hillcrest Prep (AZ) (8-0) – Arizona commit 2020 PG Dalen Terry has combined for 25 points and 21 assists in Hillcrest’s last two games and has been a major piece in their undefeated season up to this point. The Bruins defeated CIBA Prep (CA) 115-81 over the weekend and will now focus on their matchup against powerhouse Prolific Prep (CA), who they will be facing this Thursday December 5th in Phoenix, AZ as part of the Hoophall Classic West. ESPN is expected to televise the matchup.
7. Wasatch Academy (UT) (2-0) – The Tigers won their first two games to begin the 2019-2020 high school season over the holiday break, with wins over Payson (UT) and Lone Peak (UT). Cincinnati commit 2020 PG Mike Saunders Jr. is averaging 17.5 points per game and 2022 PG Richard Isaacs Jr. is averaging 17.0 PPG in their first two games. Wasatch will have two games this week against Wasatch (UT) and Toole (UT) before competing in the Great Western Shootout this weekend.
8. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (1-0) – The Stags were led by Miami commit 2020 F Earl Timberlake Jr. with 17 points in their season debut over the weekend against Mount St. Joseph (MD) in the BCL vs WCAC Classic 83-64. DeMatha will have two more games this week before their primetime game against top-10 Sunrise Christian (KS) next Sunday night at home as part of the D.C. Hoopfest.
9. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (10-1) – The Oak Hill Academy Warriors were off during the Thanksgiving Holiday and will continue their season with a matchup with Lakeside Prep (SC) this Wednesday December 4th and a key matchup Friday December 6th against Teays Valley Christian (WV).
10. Sunrise Christian (KS) (4-0) – Sunrise Christian (KS) goes 2-0 while in Dallas, Texas at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest, defeating Austin Westlake (TX) and Houston Yates (TX). 2021 F Kendall Brown averaged 17.0 points per game going a combined 12-19 from the field in their two wins. The Buffaloes will head to Washington D.C. this weekend to compete in the D.C. Hoopfest and where they will face powerhouses Gonzaga (DC) and DeMatha Catholic (MD).
11. The Patrick School (NJ) (0-0) – The Celtics will make their season debut on December 9th against Watchung Hills Regional (NJ).
12. Minnehaha Academy (MN) (0-0) – The Redhawks will make their season debut later this week on Thursday December 5th against Monticello (MN).
13. Paul VI (VA) (1-0) – The Panthers won their season debut over the weekend against Archbishop Carroll (DC) on the road. Paul VI will face Bishop O’ Connell (VA) this Tuesday December 3rd before their big weekend at the D.C. Hoopfest where they will face IMG Academy (FL) and Word of God (NC).
14. Roselle Catholic (NJ) (0-0) – Roselle Catholic will make their season debut on December 12th against Newark Eastside (NJ).
15. Gonzaga (DC) (2-0) – The Eagles started their season with two wins over the weekend against Bishop McNamara (MD) and Loyola Blakefield (MD) in the Charm City Classic. Georgetown commit 2020 F Terrance Williams finished with a team high 27 points in their matchup against Bishop McNamara (MD). The Eagles will have two more games this week before their matchup against powerhouse Sunrise Christian (KS) on Saturday night in D.C. as part of the D.C. Hoopfest.
16. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (0-0) – Long Island Lutheran will have their season debut later this week on Wednesday December 4th against St. Dominic (NY).
17. La Lumiere (IN) (5-0) – The Lakers will face Indianapolis International later this week on Friday December 6th and Randall K. (KY) on Saturday December 7th.
18. Bishop Gorman (NV) (0-0) – The Gaels will make their season debut later this week against Aim High Academy (MI) on Tuesday December 3rd.
19. St. Frances Academy (MD) (3-0) – The Panthers stay unbeaten after their dominating win over Archbishop Curley (MD) 81-48 last week. Their next game will be tonight against Riverdale Baptist (MD). They will play three more games before heading to Chicago, IL this weekend where they will face powerhouse Simeon (IL) as part of the Chicago Elite Classic.
20. Westtown School (PA) (2-1) – The Westtown School Moose were off for the holiday break and will play their next matchup later this week against Rock Top (PA) on Tuesday December 3rd.
21. McEachern (GA) (6-0) – McEachern began the season unranked in our preseason top-25 but earned themseleves a spot in this week’s top-25 with a win over Mayfair (CA), who were ranked in our top-25 at #23, this past weekend. Auburn commit 2020 PG Sharife Cooper scored 96 points in just two days, 44 points against Mayfair (CA) and 52 against Windsor-Forest (GA), to lead McEachern to a 6-0 overall record now heading into December. The indians will not play another game until December 13th against North Cobb (GA). Their matchup with Grayson (GA) will be December 14th as part of the Hawks-Naismith Classic in Atlanta, Georgia.
22. Roman Catholic (PA) (0-0) – Roman Catholic will make their season debut on December 12th against Landsdale Catholic (PA).
23. Mater Dei (CA) (1-0) – Kentucky commit 2020 PG Devin Askew posted 21 points and 10 assists in his now senior season debut for the Monarchas in a blowout win over San Marcos (CA) 85-25. The Monarchs will face Perry (AZ) next Saturday in Phoenix, AZ as part of the Hoophall Classic West.
24. First Love Christian (PA) (5-0) – The Knights continue to prove they are top-25 worthy with two major wins over the weekend in Atlanta, Georgia over Legacy Early College (SC) and The Skills Factory (GA) in the Holiday Hoopsgiving event. Penn State commit 2020 SG DJ Gordon combined for 42 points in thier two games. Duquesne commit 2020 SG Jett Roesing combined for 35 points (10-20 from 3) in their two games. Next stop for this group will be in Washington D.C next weekend where they will face Rock Creek Christian (MD) and National Christian (MD) as part of the D.C. Hoopfest.
25. Hamilton Heights (TN) (8-0) – The Hawks of Hamilton Heights (TN) go 2-0 this past weekend at the Lighthouse Classic in Mississippi to keep their undefeated season alive. They defeated top programs like Orangeville Prep (Canada) and West Oaks Academy (FL). After wins like that, it was without question Hamilton Heights deserved a spot in our rankings. Florida commit 2020 F Samson Ruzhentsev combined for 49 points and 25 boards in both games. Their matchup with top-25 nationally ranked #6 Hillcrest Prep (AZ) at next week’s Hoophall Classic West in Phoenix, AZ will be one to keep an eye on.
Archbishop Stepinac (NY) (0-0) – The Crusaders are technically still apart of our nationally top-25 even though they are here listed under our “next 5” list. The Crusaders will make their season debut later this week on Friday December 6th against Monsignor Scanlan (NY).
Rancho Christian (CA) (3-2) – The Eagles have been put out our top-25 national rankings after taking two straight loses to Santa Clarita Christian (CA) and Centennial (CA). The Eagles will face Santa Margarita (CA) before heading to Phoenix, AZ to compete in the Hoophall Classic West where they will face Ranier (WA) and Christ the King (NY).
Grayson (GA) (6-0) – The Grayson Rams have been put on our radar to join our national top-25 after defeating Memphis East (TN) and Mountain Brook (AL) over the weekend in Atlanta, Georgia at the Holiday Hoopsgiving. Mississippi State commit 2020 PG Deivon Smith has averaged 21.5 points per game in Grayson’s last four games. Will face top-25 McEachern (GA) in a couple of weeks.
Morgan Park (IL) (2-0) – The Mustangs get their two wins of the season with wins over rival Whitney Young (IL) and Gary West Side (IN) over the holiday break. Wake Forest commit 2020 PG Marcus Watson Jr. went off for 31 points and 7 assists in their win over Gary West Side (IN). The Mustangs will face Bogan (IL) before facing Christian Brothers (MO) in the Chicago Elite Classic this weekend.
Mayfair (CA) (0-1) – The Monsoons took a tough lost on the road this past weekend to now #21 McEachern (GA) 87-79 to begin their 2019-2020 high school season. 2020 SG Josh Christopher finished with 36 points while 2022 PG Dior Johnson finished with 30 points in his Mayfair debut. They will host Los Alamitos (CA) later today in their home opener.